Monday, December 30, 2013

Resolution Time

Gearing up for New Year's Eve? Have you thought of a resolution? If you didn't that's okay, there is still time.

I have been doing a lot of thinking when it comes to what I want to be better about my life in 2014... My thoughts led me to the conclusion that before you pledge to make an aspect of your life better, you have to determine what you love about yourself and your life.  This time of the year should be celebrated as a moment to be proud of your accomplishments that occurred in 2013.  While there were probably some major bumps in the road, you have completely transformed from the person you were at the beginning of the year.  

For example, I was still in high school and I was still swimming (lacking happiness) AND colleges had yet to send out their decisions.  
Now, as I complete 2013, I am an alumni from the class of 2013, a proud member of the class of 2017, and have retired from swimming.  All of these events have led to a peace in my life that I am grateful for.  This past year has placed me into situations where I needed to grow and become happy with myself.  
As I jump into 2014, I want to be positive, hardworking, and motivated.  That motivation comes from knowing what you did so you know what you can do.

I challenge you all to sit down, wear some comfy clothes, drinking your favorite drink and think about what you achieved in 2013, and grow excited with what you will do in 2014.  It is okay to reflect upon mistakes you made, but don't dwell on the negative consequences.
So, maybe forget the resolution because those center around negativity.  Instead seize the opportunity for personal growth.

My favorite musician, Carrie Underwood, has a song titled "Wheel of the World", and she reminds us that even when things go wrong, life is a carnival ride, and we have to see where it will take us next.



No comments:

Post a Comment