Friday, December 13, 2013

How To: Braids

When I was younger, I was obsessed with braiding my American Girl Dolls' hair.  While I can do classic braids and french braids, I want to expand my skill set.  I have stumbled upon these great tutorials.  So put yourself in front of a mirror with a brush, some elastics and get your braid on. (Warning, this is media heavy, so it may take a while to load.)

The Basics:









Dutch Braid - This will get you a Katniss/Hunger Games braid.  For a tutorial designated for Katniss's braid, click here.



Here is my Katniss braid:


Fishtail Headband

Side Fishtail




On a side note, if you are attempting these braids on yourself, work with day old hair.  This "dirty" hair will give you a better grip and will be significantly easier to work with.  However, if you are working with fresh strands, spray some dry shampoo the areas you will work with.  I usually start with the roots, rub it in, then lightly spray the body of the hair.  Dry shampoo will give you texture making the braid hold better.  My favorite dry shampoo to use is:
Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo - Ulta $6

Other tools you will want:



Happy Hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment