Thursday, May 1, 2014

Defining Your Style

Today I decided to do somewhat of a reflective post about fashion and style, and how we determine our individual voice in the matter.  We live in a world saturated with style magazines, fashion blogs, trend report websites, and apps giving us the latest in industry news.  There are so many types of influences when it comes to picking out what to buy when we cash in our paycheck...  Do you look at what is trendy? Do you buy what your style icon was just spotted wearing?  Do you buy that Kate Spade bag you've been eyeing? Or do you feel completely lost?

Why is this so difficult? Why do we struggle picking out an outfit every morning?  I fall victim to this every so often.  Just the other day I changed my top three times, after spending fifteen minutes deciding what kind of pants to wear...




I think I found the answer to this question.  I watched a documentary about Tom Ford and one of the statements he made really resonated with me.  He said:

Style for me is some one who figures out who they are. What works on them. What they feel good in and develops that. Develops their character. And the outer expression of their character is what is style.

We have such a hard time with picking out what to wear because our clothes represent our character, and misrepresenting ourself would lead to a disaster by today's social standards.  Our culture has evolved to be extremely image driven making us all judgmental.  Because of this standard, I believe that women either have a hard time staying true to their character or are reluctant to define their character.  I'm sure we all can agree with at least one part of that statement.

I am writing this post to give you a different perspective on style.  If you feel the pressure to dress like everyone even if it isn't your style, then don't! You are an individual with special traits that contribute to your stand out character.  Be proud of who you are and let your character shine through your actions and your clothes!

I apologize if I sound sappy, but I was just so inspired by Tom Ford's quote that I had to share with you my thoughts on the subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment