Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Met Gala 2014

While Award Season is always exciting, the Met Gala takes the cake.  This annual event is a fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museam of Art's Costume Institute.  It is a highly exclusive social event and is considered the premier red carpet event.  With that being said, celebrities and artists arrive in their gowns, often outreageous but all trying to make a statement.
Here are my picks for best and worst dressed.

So, so in love with Blake Lively's Gucci gown.  The champagne/blush color on her is so elegant and the form-fitting silhouette is sexy and glam.  She took my breath away.



Gisele Bundchen looked wonderful in Balenciaga.  I loved her pop of emerald.
I am not a fan of the Kardashian, however I thought Kim looked very glam and classic in this deep blue Lanvin gown.

Perfect in magenta for spring, I thought this sleek crop top and wrap skirt from Thakoon was a great fit for her.



 On to the ladies who missed the mark.

I don't really care for anything dealing with this Valentino dress.  I don't like the silhouette, the color scheme or the pattern.  Maggie Gyllenhaal looks more like a hippie than someone attending the Met Gala.


I don't think there are any words needed for Sandra Lee's ensemble.  At what point did she think this was acceptable for anything other than a costume party?

This Mui Mui dress on Elizabeth Olsen looks more like a figure skating costume than a cocktail dress.  It's too small and her shoes are a complete distraction.  Even the styling of her hair makes her look as though she is going to take the ice next to Gracie Gold.


I love women who celebrate their curves.  However, the key to this celebration is keeping it flattering.  Kate Upton's Dolce & Gabanna gown does not do anything for her here.  It cuts her off in awkward places and her chest is spilling out of the top, not classy at all.  Perhaps if the sheer/nude was changed into the solid black lace, the dress would be more of a hit.

Do you agree with my picks? What are your picks?  Check out the NYTimes for more pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment