Wednesday, March 5, 2014

86th Academy Awards Fashion Recap

Okay, I know I am a few days late.  For some reason I have been so tied up between homework and Kappa Kappa Gamma meetings that I haven't gotten to blog! I've been itching to give you all my take on the Oscar's fashion because it was flawless.  Usually there are a few misses, but like most critics have agreed, the stars were all on point on this year's rainy red carpet.

I had a difficult time picking out a specific order because I liked the dresses for different reasons.  Whether it was color, cut, or styling I think each actress picked out the best look for their own body and their own personal style.

The first woman to take my breath away, so I suppose this is my number one, was Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace. The media was buzzing about her look calling her Queen Kate, and in this dress I agree.  She took a risk with the deep-v yet kept it classy in the pearlescent satin draping.  The cape also keeps it looking classic as opposed to sexy, which is often a look I prefer.


Next, I adored Sandra Bullock's Hollywood Glam look.  Bullock can often be a hit or miss, but that night she was a hit.  The navy Alexander McQueen was flattering and gave her length.  The simple accessories and side curls finished off the glam look. 


Although she was just a presenter, I though Charlize Theron killed it in her black mermaid Dior gown.  It wasn't until I saw the gown photographed that I saw the sheer outer layer and the sexy and glam look it brought to the gown.  It was that layer that really elevated the look.




Finally, I was swooning over Idina Menzel's red carpet and performance looks.  While it may not have been a conscience decision to opt for a homage to Elphaba, I couldn't help but think it when I first saw her.  Like Bullock, she went for a Hollywood Glam look in this draped Vera Wang.  I also enjoyed the peachy-pink Reem Acra gown she wore to perform Let It Go.



While no one was Worst Dressed List worthy, there were a few women who didn't necessarily wow me.  So here are my thoughts on the ladies who could have stepped up their gown game.

Anne Hathaway.  She had a great "best dressed award show season" streak a few years ago, but lately I haven't been impressed.  The Oscars were no different.  While she was just a presenter, Hudson and Theron showed us they can still sparkle without a nomination.  Hathaway's Gucci gown here is lack luster, and boring.  The "armor" trend is dying out, and I think this made her chest look saggy.  I did however enjoy the long lines this silhouette gave her.

This one may be a surprise to some, but I just wasn't impressed with Jennifer Lawrence.  I don't know if it was the styling or the color, but I thought she was just a little boring.  However, the Calvin Kline Collection look was a timeless, classic look that photographed beautifully. The silhouette was flattering it was just lackluster.

Now time for the sexy men of the red carpet:

Jason Sudeikis:

Bradley Cooper:

Chris Heimsworth - I loved the burgundy color choice:

And of course, I couldn't cover the 86th Oscars without mentioning the kick-ass host, Ellen!  Ellen was absolutely phenomenal, wickedly funny, and of course creative.  The pizza was delivery bit was candid, completely unplanned.




What were your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?










1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! italian fashion wholesaler

    ReplyDelete